Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hit the Ground Running

So after a crazy night at the BWI Airport (thank you again, Laura for all of your help) we managed to take off at around 2:30am. The flight was 6 hours long. Dylan spent a majority of it on a blanket on the floor (not exactly safe or sanitary), Ryan had two seats to stretch out in and I sat upright...managing about 2 hours of sleep.

We landed, then proceeded through customs and finally saw Gabe through the window. I collected our 6 bags, 2 carry-ons, 2 pillow pets, 2 blankets, 2 carseats and the dog and we were on our way!

Gabe had a friend, Steve Horton, who he worked with at Randolph AFB there to help us because there was no way we were going to fit all of our stuff into the 1996 BMW wagon. BTW, this wasn't exactly the BMW I envisioned in my dreams but hey, it's a great second vehicle and it runs:-)



We drove out the gate into Ramstein Village where our TLA (temporary house) was located. I have to admit I was a little shocked at just how narrow the streets were. I had heard they were narrow but this was crazy. Going through town I noticed there were flower beds in the middle of the street. You have to wait behind them when cars come and go around them.


Once we were settled into the house we could relax a little but not for long. We had a few errands to run and by this point we were starving. Gabe took us to the KMCC and we ate at the German restaurant, Hof Brau Haus. It was really good. The portions were HUGE! We ordered 2 plates and we all shared them. Of course Gabe and I ordered a beer :-) That was a great way to finish the day....we all slept 12 hours that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment