Sunday, December 23, 2012

Christmas Time in Rothenburg, Germany

My mother-in-law, Ginny was coming for the 3rd time to Germany. This was the first time she'd be visiting in the winter so I wanted to make sure she got to experience one of Germany's many famous Christmas markets. After almost 2 years here we still had not made it to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (Red fortress above the Tauber). I've heard from more than a few people that this is their favorite German city no matter what time of year.  I was able to book a room at the Pension Becker for about €135 (includes a modest breakfast). It was a nice room that sleeps 6, just a few blocks from the market square and we could bring Mia (our dog).
After settling in we walked to the market. This is a very charming little city, rich with history, beautiful buildings and friendly people.


The market was very similar to other markets we've been to but this time we had glüwein made with white wine instead of red and the boys got to meet St. Nikolaus. 



Ginny and I enjoying our glüwein

So many decisions


The boys with St. Nikolaus


Ginny and the boys got cold so we went back to the hotel and dropped them off. Gabe and I went back out for a little while...it was great...we never get to do that!


Here we are...out! (without our kids)

The weather wasn't looking good the next morning so we decided to head home but first we took a short walk along the famous wall that surrounds the city...



It was a wonderful place to visit. I'm glad we chose Rothenburg to show off winter in Germany. I hope we get to make another trip to see it in the spring.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely post. That town is beautiful any time of year. We got to see Saint Nikolaus too! I loved the white gluwhein. Really want to learn to make it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz. I'm glad you liked your trip. The old town has got so much to offer in the way of history and it holds the Christmas spirit. I will aim to visit there again one day. Cheers! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like a postcard. This is the town I think of when I think of Germany....especially before I got here. So much character...wish I could have spent more time taking photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love Rothenburg!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! The town looks absolutely charming and festive. This is definitely inspiring me to travel to Europe during the Christmas season!

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This looks like such an awesome little town, I may have to add it to my list of must sees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I just visited Rothenburg recently! It's one of those places that everyone kept saying we had to go to. I'm so glad we did. It's adorable! Looks like y'all had fun there, too!*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wasn't it beautiful! Like Garmisch, Rothenburg is what I picture when I think of Germany. I could spend days just taking photos. I would love to go back for sure. Seems like most people make it there more than once.

    ReplyDelete