Sunday, December 16, 2012

Marrakech, Morocco (Pt.1)

High on the list of dream destinations, Marrakech, Morocco is just one of those places you don't really think you'll ever get to. Let's face it, a trip to Africa from the U.S. is expensive and long but now that I live in Germany I didn't have to worry about either of those things. Gabe was going there for work so the hotel was free (paid for by the U.S. gov't). I was able to find a non-stop round trip flight through Ryan Air for €59 ($90). All I had to do was find someone to watch the boys for a few days...my friend, Jamie thankfully volunteered :D

My flight from Frankfurt Hahn took off at 7am so I had to leave from Ramstein AB before 4am. The roads were terrible. Thankfully Gabe had the foresight to leave me with our Audi that has 4 wheel drive. I got there, white knuckles and all just in time to have a coffee before entering through security. I had 2 ziploc bags with my liquid toiletries and was told by the German TSA guy that I was only allowed one. He asked if I was with the guy next to me...I was today (thanks, German gentleman who doesn't speak a lick of English, for allowing me to smuggle my shampoo into your carry on). As I boarded the airplane I soon realized that besides the flight attendants, I was THE only English speaking person on the plane. I sat next to a French man and his little 2 year old boy. The little guy was so cute. He kept throwing his teddy bear over the seat to his mother behind him and shouting, "Au reviour!" I think I want to adopt a little French boy now.

We arrived in Marrakech and I have to say...passport security is no joke! It took over an hour to get through security. This is where I realized how fortunate I am to have an American passport. It took minutes to check most others through, it took mere seconds for them to stamp my passport. Interesting. 
View from the room
I negotiated a cab ride from the airport to the Sofitel Hotel (10 minute ride) for about 150 dirham or €15. I arrived to the hotel at about 1pm, tired and ready for a cocktail. Gabe's work day was luckily cut a little short so he was able to meet me up in the room and we immediately ordered room service.
Lemon chicken tagine and harira (chickpea soup)
I love this photo...I portrait lens is fun to play with...
This was my plan...Gabe had to work
After we ate we went out to the pool to lie in the sun for a bit. We don't get much sun this time of year in Germany so I was loving this...
Poolside
And a few cocktails
Mojito with fresh mint

Area outside of the hotel surrounded by pools
Knowing that Gabe was going to have to work during most of my visit we did some research before my trip. We thought it would be best to get a guide to show me around the city. After reading through many reviews we stumbled upon Abdul Aissaoui Marrakech Guided Tours. He had so many great reviews on Trip Advisor that we emailed him right away and booked a tour. He agreed to take both of us out for a couple of hours the night I got in and then take me out the next day from 9am-3pm. 

Before our evening out in the markets
When Abdul arrived we started our walk from the Hotel Sofitel to the Center Square and already he was giving us some history of the city. We ate in the center square, had a nice meal, some local tea...he made the whole experience so easy and comfortable. He helped us order and made sure we tried some new foods native to Morocco. Here we are at the Jemaa El Fna...
I didn't want to take my camera out...these are taken with my iPhone
Me and Abdul
After being told by a number of food stall owners that theirs was "The Best" we decided on this one. We were not disapointed...it was awesome!
This place at night is so full of life...the atmosphere is incredible, the smells are amazing...I cannot begin to describe the energy you feel...
The next morning, Abdul met me at the hotel and we started our walking tour. He was very knowledgeable about the history of Marrakech. There was never a dull moment as he was very easy to talk to. I could not begin to write down all that he told me on our tour so I hope the pictures say a lot...

Koutoubia Mosque





Ben Youssef Medersa

Street musicians playing traditional Moroccan music
Most riads are built without windows on the outside so that the families can maintain their privacy. The houses are designed so that the center of the home is a courtyard and allows light in through the center. The rooftops are where the ladies spend time chatting with neighbors. So, when we entered the Jewish quarters of Marrakech it was interesting to see the difference in the architecture of the homes. Here you see balconies and windows on the outside...
Mellah (Jewish Salt area in the city) There was once about 16,000 Jews in Marrakech but around 1960 many moved to Israel and now there are only about 200 still living here. 
Spices...
More spices...
And more spices...


Synagogue 








to be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing & exotic destination! I love all the photos you took. They definitely make me want to take a trip out there.

    Can't wait to hear more about your Morocco adventure!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I should have written it all down...I saw so much that I'm having a hard time remembering it all...LOL! Singapore is pretty exotic...I hope to visit there one day :D

    ReplyDelete