Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ireland ~ Part 2 ~ Blarney Stone

For breakfast, I ordered the kids and I a crepe-like pancake that had a hint of lemon in the syrup. None of us could finish it but it was so good! I would recommend ordering one and and then getting the eggs over toast and sharing the two because the pancakes were like dessert but you have to try them.

We had a big day planned and thought it was best to start off at the Ladies View, which is a scenic point along the N71 portion of the Ring of Kerry. The name apparently stems from the admiration of the view given by Queen Victoria's ladies in waiting during their 1861 visit. I think Tony told us she had over 30 ladies in waiting...quite an entourage, I'd say.

This area of the National Park has a load of hiking trails. We could have spent a week checking them all out but unfortunately we only had a few hours.




Gabe explaining how to navigate the rocks
The boys checking out the trail options
Ladies View

We did not see any Leprechauns on this trip...
Or did we??

Of course the boys want to get close to the edge...

Here's one of my favorite family pics from this trip. Taken by a couple from Switzerland.
 
Let's warm up a little...
Inside the Ladies View Cafe they sold Irish coffee. Yep, it's 11 am and I'm having a shot of whiskey!

On to Blarney Castle to kiss the Blarney Stone!
It's a 40 mile drive to Blarney from Killarney and well worth the drive. There seemed to be plenty of parking outside the estate but they may be because we were there on a Sunday. We paid €24 for our family to enter. Honestly, I didn't expect it to be as impressive as it was.  I would plan on spending at least 4 hours there. There is so much to see.
At the top of the Blarney Tower where the stone is.
My little guy and I.
I brief overview of the stone's history.
Dylan had no reservations about hanging upside down over the stone
Gabe was next...I captured the kiss :)
Little RyRy was a little hesitant. He has a fear of heights.
Gabe didn't quite capture my kiss so we bought the €10 photo from the gift shop.

Dylan was fascinated by the poisonous garden.

This is Dylan "pre-fall"...he landed in a heap on the ground shortly after this photo.


Me and my boys by a 1000 year old tree.
It is said, to make a wish at the "Wishing Steps" one has to walk to the bottom, and return walking backwards with eyes closed and a wish would be granted by the Fairy's or Druid's



Gabe wishes our friend John's deployment would get cancelled...a wish John himself made last month.


When we were done exploring the castle we called Gabe's friend, Maria who lives 5 miles away in Cork. She met us out for a quick drink where she told us stories about her experiences in Portugal and her impression of Americans ;-) She's a super cool chic and hopefully we can plan another get together when we have more time.
It was time to head back...it was raining, dark and I knew it wasn't going to be an easy drive back. I had white knuckles the whole way but we made it back and I had a large glass of wine before settling into bed.

Here is just one of the many challenges we have living in Europe. I wasn't thinking when I packed. I threw in this U.S. charger for the iPhone/iPad with a German 220V adapter (what I use at home) forgetting that, although Ireland uses the same currency, they do not use the same plugs. I had to get creative and attach yet another 3 prong adapter to make it work. Thankfully, it did not blow up :-)
We had an hour to burn before we boarded our flight home. Gabe is enjoying his last "Proper Guinness" in Ireland.

Gabe was "adopted" by an elderly couple at the airport. They told us we could come and stay with them anytime. He said to just look up "Paddy Welscher" in the phonebook next time we are in Ireland.

I love the Irish, I wish I were Irish. We will be back! Until then I guess I'll have to settle for St. Patrick's Day.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fun & memorable trip! The countryside looks beautiful, despite the fog and rain. And kudos to you for getting creative with the voltage converters! I can only imagine what I'll have to use with my U.S./Singapore electronics!

    Cheers,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures don't do it justice! Such a beautiful country. I'm sure you'll run into a few situations where you'll need to get creative as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never made it to Blarney, but totally loved Killarney! My favorite little town was Dingle. Man, I just loved everything about Ireland! I even embraced the cold, rainy weather. Every. Single. Day. Can't wait to go back someday and take the hubster with me this time..

    ReplyDelete