Friday, October 19, 2012

20 Things I'll Miss (and Won't Miss)

When you get stationed over here in Europe, it's only temporary. Most people are here for an average of 3 years. We happen to be on a 2-3 year tour. Gabe took a "career-broadening" position so by the 2 year mark he is supposed to start looking for a new job back in The States. As we approach the month of our 2nd year here I find myself thinking about the things I'm going to miss about Germany. Of course there is the travel. That is #1. Germany is in the perfect location in terms of accessibility. We can potentially drive to most every country in Europe if we had the time (and money) to do so. It's amazing to think how many places we've seen already.
But with travel aside, there are many other things I will miss and NOT miss about living here. I've decided to write a list naming those things as a reminder of everyday life over here.
1. Travel.
2. Christmas.
Christmas in Germany is like nowhere else. The Christmas Markets are amazing. They truly get you into the spirit of the holiday. With gluwein and hot cider, the smell of cinnamon and lit candles.
3. Roundabouts.
Is there really ever a need for a stop sign? I don't think so and neither do Germans. There is not a single stop sign from my house to Gabe's office...that's 10 miles of yield signs and roundabouts. Traffic moves smoothly and people are happy.
4. Safety of our village.
My boys have the freedom to play outside whenever they want to without the fear of "stranger-danger". I'm not saying it couldn't happen but will it happen? No. I can't imagine a safer neighborhood. Now granted, most days I have my window cracked so I can occasionally listen for them and ensure they're around but I don't feel the need to hover over them. They get to be kids.
5. Toilets.
I will miss the design of the German toilet in terms of cleaning UNDER them. They come out from the wall so there isn't that gross area around the bottom to clean. You can just simply mop it up along with the rest of the floor. BUT I will NOT miss the inside of the toilet. They are probably the worst design in terms of cleaning the ring around the inside.
6. Heated tile floors.
I will miss warm tile floors in the winter. I will NOT miss cleaning 3 levels of tile flooring. I miss carpet.
7. Small.
I will NOT miss small parking spaces, small refrigerators, small grocery carts, small roads, small sinks, small ovens, small coffee-to-go,
8. Movie Theaters.
I will not miss having only 2 movie theaters to chose from. I will miss AAFES movie ticket prices.
9. AFN.
I will not miss AFN or their ridiculously annoying "commercials" or choice in programming. I will miss my boys not giving a crap about television.
10. Castles and Cathedrals.
I will miss visiting old castles and cathedrals. They still amaze me. I love being able to sit and have a coffee or beer or glass of wine and take in the history of it all...they each have a story to tell. My boys, however, may be "over" the castle thing. They may have seen enough of them to last 20 years.
11. Bike trails.
I will miss Europe's "bike friendly" cities and countryside. Although I haven't taken advantage of them as much as I could or should, I will miss them. Gabe has taken so many bike rides with his buddies to nearby Gasthauses, the Bike-In, and The Blockhouse. Seeing the countryside by bike is an incredible experience. If the kids were a bit older we would have taken more family time on these trails.
12. Sports. (this one is mostly for Gabe)
I will NOT miss delayed programming for sports or having to watch them in the middle of the night. It's quite the commitment for sports fans over here to watch their favorite teams. It requires late nights, early (like 3am early) mornings or avoiding the internet until the game airs. 
13. Belgian Beer runs. (Another one for Gabe)
I will miss beer runs to Belgium because the beer in Belgium is superior to all other beers...period.
14. Döners.
I will miss döners. They might possibly be a perfect food.
15. German bakeries and bread.
I will miss German bread. It is crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle...the way bread should be. 
16. Rolladens.
I will miss rolladens. They are the best invention for windows. They keep rooms dark which I love for the bedroom. I can sleep in :-)
17. ATMs.
I will miss the ATMs in Germany. They dispense cash in incriments of 5s...I love that. 
18. Day trips.
I will miss all of the day trips. There are so many things to see, places to go within a short distance of where we leave.
19. Flea Markets.
I will miss flea markets. European flea markets are different than those in the States. The things you find here are so unique...you'll never find them anywhere else.
20. Last but certainly not least. Our friends and neighbors.
This will be by far the most difficult part about leaving Germany. I tear up just thinking about it.We have made some the greatest friends here in Germany. Being overseas has a way of bringing people together...forging quick but long lasting friendships. You learn to lean on each other, be there for one another, plan holidays together and become like a family. We will share memories and forever have a bond because we shared this experience together.


2 comments:

  1. Um, are you leaving sooner than you are telling me??? :). I agree with all these also. But add in I wont miss driving through the villages. Ack!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! True...driving in these villages is like playing "Chicken"...life and death decisions daily!
      And who knows. We could be leaving anytime between now and 15 months from now :-(

      Delete